Tuesday, July 5, 2011

"Who Are You When I'm Not Looking" - english

So, I changed the letter font of the blog because my previous one had a exclamation point which was very weird and easily confused by the letter "l". So I wanted a letter that was still very personal but not too pretty, because my handwriting is not so neat too. So I hadn't many choices and I ended up choosing this one!

Well, let's go the post itself! The title of this post, actually, is the name of one of Blake Shelton's songs. The song talks about how the women look all pretty publicly but the singer wonders who are they when they are alone, or what they do while no one is looking! Well, I thought this was kinda interesting and made me think about a couple of things. I won't be reveling all the stuff I intentionally hide from everyone, but the song gave me the idea of writing a post about my routine at home, alone with little Rebecca!

So, since I got married and came to the USA, people in here usually ask me: "And what do you do during the days, since you have no job?". Well, I always answered them talking a little about my routine, and obviously it wasn't so busy as one's who have to work, but it wasn't so empty as they might have thought it would be! Of course now I have a complete different routine since I had my baby, so it only makes sense to write about my actual routine! Actually this is kinda of a complicate subject to me because I'm not totally satisfied with my performance! But I will write the routine the way it should always be, even though sometimes I slip out of it a little!

Ok, so my week is divided into three routines! One is for the mondays, wed and fridays! The second is for the Tuesdays and Thursdays and the third and last one for the weekends! The difference is the time I attend Mass during these days! On the routine number one, the Mass is at 8:30am and on the routine two, the Mass time is at 5:30pm.

So our day here at home starts pretty early at some time between 6am and 7:30am, but the most frequent time is around 6:45am when Rebecca's biological alarm rings! So I wake up, take Rebecca to our bed and I breastfeed her while daddy is still trying to wake up rolling into the sheets. Ten minutes later Rebecca is extremely happy and excited and crazy for playing with Daddy!! Meanwhile, us three offer the day to God with our usual prayer! Then daddy changes Rebecca's diapers! Ok, so everybody is up, with clean faces, etc, so all of us go to the living room!  

We let Rebecca playing with her toys while we prepare the breakfast! Usually I prepare everything but sometimes D gets to the Kitchen before me and starts doing something! Lately we've been eating a bread which we both like very much - btw, I make the best oven toasts from them, thinly sliced!! - heated on the toaster with my delicious "butter" and some deli, usually hard salami! We have brazilian coffee - only brazilian here - or tea, or almond milk with cereal! D drinks a "bio salud" every morning! But sometimes I only eat my toasts with "butter" because I like it very much and coffee because both go pretty well together!!

Sometimes we put Rebecca on her high chair and put some cartoons for her to watch. She loves "Dora, the explorer" the most, but she also likes Barney and Blue's Clues! We play them on Netflix and then we connect the laptop on our tv so she can watch it in the big screen! While she is there we can have our breakfast peacefully! Well, on routine number one, D goes to the gym (on our building) and I wash the dishes and then give rice cereal to Rebecca! After this I take Rebecca to Mass with me, so no one can pay attention to the Mass! lol (just kidding, this is not my intention at all!!!) So when D is back he can have a quality time alone! When we get home from Mass, D is already waiting for us outside our apt because he needs to rush to get to this job on time, at 9:15am.

Then Rebecca is practically feeling sleepy so usually I wait a little bit, nurse her again and put her on her crib! Sometimes she sleeps on my breast and sometimes she sleeps alone on her crib after nursing. Usually she doesn't complain to be left on her crib when she is not sleeping yet! But sometimes she cries a little and then she sleeps! Usually she naps for 1h30-2h. While she sleeps I play the rosary on my ipod and I pray it while I'm cleaning something up! After this I meditate a little, go to the internet, prepare something for lunch, assemble the bed, etc! Sometimes I need to prepare - cook - Rebecca's food. Other days I need to do the laundry, or iron clothes, or vacuum the house, or clean the bathroom, the porch, etc.

Then Rebecca wakes from her nap and it's already time for her to have lunch! So I put her on the high chair and I give her homemade baby food! Then I try to make her drink some water which is always complicated since she doesn't know how to take bottles nor sip cups but i want to believe she's getting better at it! Then D gets home for lunch and we let Rebecca watching her cartoons on her high chair while we're eating. After lunch we play a little with her and then D goes back to his work. After that I usually supervise Rebecca while I'm cleaning the kitchen until she is felling sleepy again and it's time for her afternoon nap. So I nurse her and she sleeps! Usually she naps two hours more or less like she does in the mornings. And while she is napping that my ruin comes! I usually end up wasting this time at the computer - say fb - while I could do much more like read some of the thousands books I intend to read someday, or I could play the keyboard that D gently bought me last year, or I could draw or paint as I enjoy doing this, but no! Ok, sometimes I use this free time to bake something or to write on my blog. Buut, I'm working on this and I hope I'll use this time in a more useful way in the near future!

Well, then Rebecca is up again and I'm missing her to death. She always wakes up super smiling and super happy and excited!!! Then I feed her again and we play a little together! Then I give her some banana puffs snacks but i have to keep my eye on her bc sometimes she chokes =/. and I try to give her more water.... it's a battle... Then we kinda do this until Dad gets home from work! Some of these days we were going to the pool with daddy and she looooves the pool!! She has SO much energy!!! lol We play and swim for half hour and then return to our apt which is so close to the pool so it's wonderful and very little messy!! Well, we give her a bath - sometimes it's my and other times it's D's turn - while the other prepares her dinner - another batch of baby food! The one who prepared the food gives dinner to her while the other takes a shower.

Well, then we just wait for her bed time and usually she is very calm after her bath and dinner! So when it's time, I nurse her again and she sleeps or goes to bed without complaining!! We prepare our dinner - usually it's my duty - and then we eat! After dinner, I wash the dishes while D plays video games! After that we both watch something together! Right now we are watching "7th heaven" episodes and we just started watching "full house" episodes too! Wow, "full house" it's more embarrassing that I would have remembered but it's still cool!! Sometimes we don't watch anything and we read something on bed for 10 minutes! But I would like to make this reading a routine!! And we usually end up sleeping at 10:30-11pm.

Ok, this post is already big enough and I didn't say anything about the other routines! So now I will be really short! Well, on the routine number two, since I go to church at 5:30pm we don't have time to go to the pool but instead we have more free time during the am so I usually put Rebecca on her smaller stroller and we go for a walk at our building's streets. She loves it!! And while we are having a stroll I pray the rosary! And the other thing which is different is that I keep the car after lunch - so we drive dad to work - so I can go to mass and after mass we pick him up! And since I have the car I usually end up doing some groceries shopping with Rebecca! Usually we do this once a week but sometimes we need to go twice!

And now about the weekends the thing is that we don't have a planned routine! We try to set up a schedule for the day shortly after we wake up. We usually go out with Rebecca at some place and cook nicer meals! We go to the pool or splash pads, watch some movies or even go out of town! On Sundays we go to Mass together at 8:15am, the best time ever since it doesn't mess with Rebecca's schedule and she is peaceful. Besides this we try to speak with our families every weekend through skype!

And that's it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment