Addictions....
probably everyone has at least one addiction but I'm here to talk about mine! I'm addicted to facebook, but also to computer in general. Good thing that this internet stuff wasn't around before I was twelve years old, or I could have gotten a different idea of what it's best for me! I'll explain it better. What I mean is that I grew up learning that my parents were my role models and even now I feel this way in almost every action I take, specially now that I'm also a parent!
My parents simply never showed us any addictions they could possibly have! Actually, they seemed to be addictions-free! They would never lose time in anything more than it should and they were always busy with good things! And even now, that they use computer and internet, that they have ipads, smart phones, etc, they are still not addicted to it! Which it's kinda impressive to me! I think it may be a little bit easier for them since they have so many things to take care of and worry about, so they simply don't have spare time for this. And the fact they were already much older when the world became digital it's also a possible explanation.
But still, it makes me think that I don't want to be different from them in this matter. I want my children to see that their parents are addictions-free too! I want to be a good role model too, because models we are - inevitably! It's good for them to see we have flaws and that we strive to fight against it, but I just don't think it's ok for them to have parents addicted to something, doesn't matter what it may be. But, the fact is, I'm addicted to internet.
So, right now, Dan and I are going through some really important things that we need to worry about! And I just thought I would give Facebook a break for a while and concentrate more on praying, do a better job as a housewife and a mother and get into a schedule (again!!!). So, on last wednesday night, I thought about deleting my FB account (even though I was thinking about retrieving it back again a while later) but then I just thought it wasn't a good idea and that I wanted something a little bit more low profile than this! And it just stroke me! I asked Dan to change my password for me, one that I didn't know of course, and logged off. The plan it's to only check FB for a short period of times on weekends or Friday night (like I did it today!), so Dan would log in for me when I want it.
On the next couple of days, I'll admit it, I woke up thinking of fb (shocking, I know!), and kept thinking about it almost all day long, although not continuously! Well, four good things came out of it, that I can record right now!
One, that I really realized how addicted I was! I mean, I always said I was addicted to it, but I wasn't really aware of how much!
Two, I discovered that dealing with addictions, there is no way you can get out of it by yourself, alone. Impossible! No way, Jose! If you are reading this and thinking you are able to do it yourself with your own addictions, you are mistaken, I'm sorry to break the news for you and it really doesn't please me if I look like I-know-it-all person, or an authoritarian person, but I have to say that I know I'm right about this. And I just want to share this with other people who may need to hear it too.
Third, things started to work out at home. I got into a successful schedule like never before!!! I was really impressed how clean and organized my home was, how everyone was fed on time, and how I could find time to pray more too!
And finally, number four! Every time I would accomplish something in these last couple days my first thought actually was sharing it on FB. So I really realized how I was replacing giving graces to God, or just talking to Him about the good and the bad things for - rather - sharing it on FB. So, I've been working on thinking more about God instead, and talking more to Him, and giving more graces and asking for more assistance. It's been good! And I'm much happier and smiling more at home! Like life should be!!!
BTW, I just want to share a quick and very simple recipe I made yesterday night for dinner. Actually, I prepared it on my slow cooker around mid day. It was an amazing discovery how doing like this can make cleaning and schedule MUCH more simple!!! (got the idea of cooking dinner in advance from my friend Maddy a couple weeks ago! Credits to her, that even with guests and baking 1000 cookies for us, she had dinner ready by 6pm!!) And let me add that this recipe turned out delicious! Rebecca - my pickiest eater - loved it too. So here it goes:
- Chicken thighs. (I used boneless and skinless) Cut into large pieces. I used three of them.
- green beans (don't cut them up!). (they ended up delicious!!! So be generous with it, taking advantage of its ridiculous cheap price).
- two small cloves of garlic, minced. (If you cooking more chicken, add more of it too) Don't replace it by garlic powder, it's just not the same!
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (melted on 1/2-1 cup of hot water). Use more bouillon if cooking more chicken.
- oregano, dried basil and dried parsley.
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of wine (white or red).
Put everything together on the slow cooker evenly and let it cook for 5-6 hours on low.
I didn't put mushrooms (cut into halves) because I ran out of it, but I'm sure it would have been just superb too by previous experiences!! Serve with white rice or some good mashed potatoes (with some good butter and salt!) and enjoy!
If you have a good AND simple AND not very expensive recipe you make at you home, and your family love it, please share with me too!!
That's it and you all take care!!
Bibs, vc vai ter que dar um jeito de nos manter atualizados das suas novidades e fotos da sua pequena, pq apesar de eu saber que vícios são ruins, é tão bom te sentir presente, saber que eu posso falar com vc e vc vai responder ou ver as novas fotos da pequena sempre! E Bibs, coloque fotos das receitas aqui!! Fiquei curiosa!!Ju
ReplyDeleteYou have no idea how much I can relate to this post even to the point that last year I remember asking Anthony to change my password on Facebook so that he could help me control how much I checked it! ha ha. So thanks for being so honest and sharing. I think many of us in our generation are addicted to the internet because we like instant gratification and social networking/sharing our lives with others. There are definitely some good things about it, especially living so far from family and friends, but boundaries are good. My "addiction" to Facebook is also why I disabled my page during Lent last year! :)
ReplyDeleteaimee, I certainly reminded of you when I thought about deleting my fb account bc I remembered what you did on last lent! But I never knew you had the same idea of asking your husband to change you password haha!! That's a coincidence!!
ReplyDelete