Monday, March 13, 2017

What's up? I'm glad you asked!

Almost two months since my last post! I've wanted to write many times, but haven't quite found the time yet! So now it's 8pm, kids are (finally) in bed, Dan is at the gym, seems like the perfect time to catch up! But I'll try a new writing style in which I briefly depict the main facts into "mini posts". Let's see how it goes!

"No Time for blogging"
It seems to me that I have plenty of spare time in my day! Well, I cook, I clean, I take care of my kids needs, I drive, etc. Mathematically speaking, the amount of time I spend doing all my mother/housewife duties is less than the number of hours I'm awake in a day. But sweet baby Vicky cry a lot when she is not given 100% of exclusive attention and toddler Nico doesn't nap anymore. So there goes my "free" time: out of the window!

"8pm? Sounds like a good bedtime to me!"
I've been going to bed as soon as I finish nursing Vicky for the last time before she sleeps, granted I finished my evening hygiene routine already. That ranges from 8pm to 9pm. It's been good specially since I can't take a nap during the day because of reason stated above. That means I'm taking my sleep time to blog! That's how much I care!

"Flossing"
Please floss your children's teeth daily before bed specially if your children happen to have practically no space between teeth. Also, don't let your young child brush his/her teeth all by him/herself. These measurements can save you $300+ in dentist services and a lot more worth of embarrassment, just saying........ Also, don't wait 6.5 years to take your poor child to a dentist for the first time (what were we thinking???).

"No Tae-kwon-do for Nico"
That's a sad story! Nico is a crazy boy! Not real crazy (we actually had him evaluated to confirm this). But he's different. Too excited. Too stubborn. You might mistake him for a deaf person if you don't know him very well and, in fact, I've seen that happening before, more than once. When he wants something there is no telling him "no". Of course we tell him "no". Multiple times. But he'll keep screaming and crying for a looooooooooooooooong time after that. But anyway, we love him very much, and he is definitely a cutie. In order to work on his discipline problem we had a great idea: let's enroll him in tae-kwon-do! Let Master X do the hard work for us!
Well, Nico loved every minute of it. I mean, he really loved it! He couldn't even wait to take his shoes off before sprinting to the mat. He would jump around and twirl of excitement between each movement. He actually had a kid trainer just for him. Truth is I could go on describing his craziness but I think you got the picture: Master X told us he wasn't ready for classes yet. After only two classes. It was really, really sad! He loved it so much and every time we drove by the academy he would ask to go there. We will try again next year, probably.

"Nico goes to school"
Crazy Nico also started pre-K in January. Twice a week, mornings only. Luckily for us, I *think* the school can't tell us he is not ready for it yet. Except that sometimes I think they can and they will. The assistant teacher is a sweetheart, but she's already been telling me that she has to chase after him everyday at least once.
Now being serious, though. I just had the insight that I *really*, *really* need to pray more for my children. Throughout the day. Lots of times. Pray that they will adapt and conform. In a smooth way. Possibly - hopefully - faster. That they will be happy meanwhile. That's been my proposition. Rebecca also needs the prayers too. She is great most of the time, but she can also be "not great" every now and then.

"Nico has a febrile seizure"
You possibly read my facebook post about it. Basically it's horrifying but harmless. If you never known about it before, you basically think your child is dying. I came across an article/story on The Guardian that describes exactly my emotions on the episode. Find it here. I think I am mostly recovered by now. My sis and her husband were here for a few days and that distracted me from the whole thing, thank you all for the prayers.

"Vicky is Catholic"
My sis and her husband came all the way from Brazil to be the godparents in Vicky's Baptism, her welcoming into the Catholic Church! What a happy and special day! We also had a GREAT time with them here! Ask the kids!!! I miss them already and it makes me sad we don't live near family. Sniff, sniff.

"Sweet Vicky, Crying Vicky"
Vicky is sweet and I wasn't wrong when I said she was our best baby between all the three of them. Actually, she was surprisingly good now that we know she is dairy allergic like her big sis! It took a while for me to notice it even with all my previous experience because she was such a good baby and her poop was orange-ish most days, but I could tell there was some mucus in it. On her last check-up I decided to ask our pediatrician about it! I *love* our pediatrician, she is great! I asked her if mucus in stools could be a sign of something else other than dairy-allergy and I got my feared answer: no, it can't be. It's dairy allergy, indeed.
So there you have it. It's been 25 days I have not been eating dairy per si. But I wasn't very careful in certain occasions (turns out everything batter-fried, all breads and all vegetables have either milk or butter on them!). And now she wails of pain almost every day and she actually passed some tiny blood spots on her stool (the definite proof of dairy allergy). I also highly suspect that Vicky is allergic to soy too even before I learned that almost 50% of babies with dairy allergy are also sensitive to soy. (If you saw my facebook post about a soy paste that tastes just like peanut butter, I actually bought that to definitely see if Vicky would bother or not if I ate that. And boy, did she!
I've read lots of testimonies of mothers saying that after they stopped eating dairy and/or soy, the crying/colics actually got worse before they got any better. Well, we are definitely on the "worse" curve, right now. I really feel sorry for her. Poor baby. Damn genetics!!!

"Fitness"
I can't complain much about going dairy-free because it's a fail-proof way to slim down. And I needed the push. I don't know if you can tell but for the first whole month postpartum I still was 22lb heavier than before conceiving. It's been 3 months now, and I'm still 17lb overweight. As you can count, that's a work in progress as I'm nowhere near I want to be yet. I have also been trying to exercise. I plan to buy a fitness jump rope and go back to my old 8-min abs workout from youtube (find it here). I plan to stop what I'm doing everyday at 10am to do it. Seems like a good plan to me!

"Marital Problems"
You know? I just deleted three lines in which I was describing a discussion Dan and I had about kale and whatnot just to make my point valid: It was so stupid that I actually didn't want to finish writing the story (and it's getting really late too) and I really thought I would bore you all to death if you read it anyway. So here is the conclusion, anyway: sometimes marital problems are really silly things that happen to every couple every now and then. These episodes may look very serious and big when they just happened, but take a deep breath, let it go, say your sorry-ies, and forget about it. Yes, people have bad habits sometimes. Yeah, people will get mad at each other sometimes. Yes, you or him will say something not nice or considerate sometimes. Get over it, it's not the end of the world. You can work it out. I'm talking to you, because Dan and I already did! On the same day!

"Lent"
Have a good lent everyone. Please, a better one that I'm having. I still peek at facebook and instagram sometimes...... Shameful, I know......

xoxo








No comments:

Post a Comment